Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tarpon Are My Favorite

At the beginning of each year I prepare for my move to the Keys and the exciting start of my guiding season.  I gather fly tying materials and order hooks.  I load up on flouro and get new boat cusions.  The whole time I grin, because I know I will get to see a tarpon jump again...


My passion for fishing in the ocean is really my passion for catching tarpon.  My eyes scan miles of water looking for any chance I to give my anglers a cast at the next tarpon.  I can't get over watching them eat the fly and feeling the boat lurch under my feet as an excited customer sets the hook.  Big tarpon are are my favorite fish to catch.  They are difficult, adrenalizing, and incredibly rewarding to catch.

The best time of the season to catch migrating tarpon is April, May and June. Though tarpon can be found in the Keys at any time, the migration is the best time to encounter the most and the biggest.  Fishing both day and night is fair game when the pigs are in town.



No comments:

Post a Comment